- Exit 9 – No Accident in Paradise
- Sei A – Body of Eyes
- Deep in Calm – You Will Pay
- Midland – Through Motion
- Reason Or Romanza – Radiance Trigger (Rescue Mix)
- Commix – City Section
- Danny Howells – Black Cat (Total Science Remix)
- The Chemical Brothers – Swoon (Don Diablo Remix)
- Cassian – I Like What You’re Doing (Nightriders Remix)
- Bas Amro – Ten
- Vincenzo – Where You Are
- White Hinterland – Icarus
Endless Groove is back with some super smooth beats to round out the summer. This session I went back to the basic idea that Endless Groove started with: mellow, driving repetitive beats with a lot of melody and some beautiful vocal effects. I also snuck in some true classics that I’ll let you find on your own. Enjoy.
- Solee – Legends (Slow Motion Mix)
- John Talabot – La Niña (Afrodub Version)
- Pablo Bolivar – Memories (Nhar Remix)
- John Talabot – Matilda’s Dream
- Mock & Toof – Shoeshine Boogie (Wolf + Lamb Remix)
- Der Dritte Raum – Weitwelt
- Ripperton – Random Violence/Telépopmusik – Breathe
- Kaito – We Are Living Here
- Vibrasphere – Breathing Place
- Die Antwoord – $0$
- Ray Mang – Look Into My Eyes
- Lindstrøm – Another Station (Todd Terje Remix)
- El Guincho – Antillas (Prins Thomas Diskomiks)
- Pollyester – German Love Letter (Permanent Vacation Mix)
- Röyksopp – This Space
Nothing says summer like a bit of Chromeo.
Technically, it’s not summer yet, but this should put you in the mood. Enjoy.
- Ripperton – L’Ardo
- Moonbeam – Tokyo Dragon (tONKPROJECT Ebencrib Remix)
- Estroe – Inspirited Away (Nuno Dos Santos Remix)
- Julius Steinhoff – Something Like Wonderful
- Booka Shade – This Is Not Time
- Estroe – High Maintenance
- Don Diablo – I Am Not From France (Linus Loves Remix)
- The Kleptones – Hiding in the Bayou (LCD Soundsystem vs. Black Crowes)
- Ajello – Silert Tears (Space Ranger Remix)
- Way Out West – Future Perfect (Henry Saiz Remix)
- Estroe – Kiss & Make Up
- Moonbeam – Tokyo Dragon (Roger Martinez Remix)
- Chromeo – Night by Night (Siriusmo Remix)
- Rodion & Bottin Galli – Give It Up
- Libex & Marshall – Psychic Harmony 2010
- Bvdub – To Live (edit)
Endless Groove Episode 2 continues in the idea of finding a nice, mellow relaxing groove and just letting it run its course. That’s not to say there aren’t moments that make you want to break out and dance, but this is music to work to. Or to drive to. This is a collection of music that I absolutely love, each track with a sprinkling of magic melody to keep things interesting. It also features one of the best tracks I’ve heard in years, the perfectly named The Magnificent by Lindstrøm. Killer.
- Memory Tapes – Treeship (edit)
- Tigerskin – Platin
- Fritz Kalkbrenner – Blackmail
- Hernan Cattaneo & Soundexile – Butterfly Effect (remix)
- Pryda – Reeperbahn
- Sebastian Davidson – Nightbird (Shur-I-Kan’s Sound of Summer Mix)
- Lindstrøm – The Magnificent
- Good Guy Mikesh & Filburt – Someone Told Me
- Woolfy vs. Projections – Absynth (Markus Worgull Remix)
- Shonen Jump – Vincenzo
- Antix – The Hoard (Dousk Remix)
- Dølle Jølle – Balearic Incarnation (Todd Terje’s Extra Doll Mix)
- Iridium – Lullabies In The Dark
I spend a lot of time sitting at my computer (shocking, I know). Sometimes, I just want some nice, mellow house music that sets itself into a groove and rolls. Some of my sets have had this characteristic, but I decided to create a new imprint called “Endless Groove”, just for these sorts of mixes. It’s got a bunch of tech house and a bit of progressive, and every once in a while the set kicks it up a notch and you may find you head bobbing along and your feet tapping your chair. At least, if you’re anything like me…
- The Black Dog – Train By The Autobahn (Part 1)
- Danny Howells – September
- Lindstrøm – Where You Go I Go Too
- Adele – Hometown Glory (Pocketknife’s Familiar Faces Remix)
- Junior Boys – Hazel (Ewan Pearson’s House Dub Mix)
- Felix Da Housecat & Kris Menace – Artificial
- The Chain – Geo
- Matias Aguayo – Minimal (DJ Koze Mix)
- Schodt – First Breath (Dankann Remix)
- Tore Jarlo – Raining Down On You feat. Pia (Dumb Dan Edit)
- Bertrand Dupart & Gwen – Lolita (Rocco Remix)
- Low Motion Disco – Things Are Gonna Get Easier (Windsurf Remix)
- Paul Keeley – Life Aquatic
- Danny Howells – September (re-entry)
So it turns out that if you wait to too long between set releases, pretty much every one of your favourite artists releases a killer new track. I guess you could refer to this set as the Epic Mix.
16 Bit Lolitas make a couple of appearances with tracks from their magnificent new LP. DJBS favourites UNKLE, Jaytech and Way Out West all contribute in one way or another — I even found room for the new version of the all-time classic Shapeshifter’s track, Lola’s Theme (which made an appearance on one of my first ever mix sets, many years ago).
This will probably be the last set released under the “phoenix sessions” moniker for a while, as I intend to explore some new spaces in the near future. Stay tuned.
- Black River (Gui Boratto Remix) – Bomb The Bass
- Reformation (Robert Babicz Remix) – Lucca
- Coconut Blues – Gabriel Ananda
- Bazook (Bazookapella) – Chris the Greek & Matheos
- Formula of Fear (Uberzone Dub Mix) – Hybrid
- Murder Weapon – 16 Bit Lolitas
- Azteca (KOS’s Stadium Mix) – KOS
- Twilight (Layo and Bushwacka! Remix) – UNKLE
- Lola’s Theme (2008 Re-edit) – The Shapeshifters
- Heart & Soul – Yvel and Tristan
- The Warning (Terracotta Army’s Eastern Invasion) – Way Out West
- Nobody Seems to Care (feat. Jennifer Horne) – 16 Bit Lolitas
- Candy (James Zabiela Remix) – Spooky
- Geko – Guy J
- Meaningful Story (Jaytech Remix) – Dinka
- Omptine D’Un Ature Ete, L’Apres Midi – Jay Haze and Yann Thiersen
A large chunk of this mix came together on a flight from Calgary to Montreal, early one morning a few weeks ago. It was a really nice way to spend the flight, and the presence of power adaptors on the seats really made my day. Flying the horrors of Continental or United lately has really blinded me to the perks the rest of the civilized world enjoys.
Only one comment this time about the set: Sultan and Ned Shepard have delivered one of the most mind-blowing breakdowns in recent memory in the form of “Jeopardy”. I’ve switched things around a bit here by combining the original’s techy progressions with 16-Bit Lolitas’ funkier remix, and it gives me chills. Enjoy.
- Bonafied Lovin’ (Juri Hulkkonen Remix) – Chromeo
- Movin’ (UNKLE’s Surrender Sounds Session 9) – Skylark
- Mongoose (Guy J Remix) – Sasha
- Jeopardy feat. Kuba Oms – Sultan and Ned Shepard
- Jeopardy feat. Kuba Oms (16-Bit Lolitas Mix) – Sultan and Ned Shepard
- One Dress, Two Legs (Dub Mix) – Jaytech and Jeff Drake
- Fun Punch (Bag Raiders Remix) – Bag Raiders
- Ikaros feat. Nicky (Retroid Remix) – Clesk, Pea and Shuda
- Anime (Rocco Main Mix) – Hernan Cattaneo and John Tonks
- Shine On – Soda Inc.
- The Big Space (Subsky Mix) – 3kStatic
- Dusty Horizon (Trafik’s Sirocco Mix) – Roland Klinkenberg
- Pyramid – Jaytech
I’m not normally this prolific, but after the release of Strange Thoughts my buddy Kent and I had the following IM exchange:
Kent: Strange Thoughts was exceptional. I mean, really really terrific — I was literally transported to a new realm of musical understanding. One question though… when are you going to get back to making party music? Me: Umm… right now?
For some reason I don’t have a log of the exact conversation, but my memory of the exchange is very clear and I’m confident Kent used those exact words.
In any case, building a rocking, danceable party mix came effortlessly. There’s literally a TON of phenomenal new music out there right now, and it was a joy to build a set with it. I also wanted to get this out fast, hence the tiny turnaround after Strange Thoughts.
Session 003 hits all my favourite places — soft, epic progressive house and trance tracks like Williams’ “Love on a Real Train” and Jody Wisternoff’s incredible remix of “Miami Nice”. After the first half, things really start to take off in the form of some funky house courtesy of Ministry of Funk. Then we slide into some glitchy, dirty electro funk before polishing it off with Peter Martin’s classic “Perfect Wave”. Enjoy.
- Arrival – Stoneface & Terminal
- Love On A Real Train (Version by Studio) – Williams
- Yes We Can – House Music United
- If You Should Go feat. Susana (Inpetto & Duderstadt Dub Mix) – Armin van Buuren
- Titans (Elias Tzikas Mix) – Kosmas Epsilon
- Give It Up/Reaction (Adam K, Soha & Alex Gold Remix) – Alex Gold
- Miami Nice (Jody Wisternoff Mix) – Astral Tiger
- Surin – Quivver
- Love On A Real Train (Williams Odyssey Mix) – Williams
- Pictures – Stoneface & Terminal
- Funky Nation – Ministry of Funk
- You Control Me – Lil Devious
- Word – Sebastien Leger & Chris Lake
- In The End (Mazzali & Orlandi Mix) – Fuzzy Hair & Rock Da World
- Bleep – Sandy W
- Perfect Wave – Peter Martin
It’s a cliche — dance music and obscure science fiction samples go together like cake and frosting. But it’s an awesome cliche, because there’s something amazing about that little snippet of speech, taken out of context. And later — sometimes years later — you’re watching an old movie on TV, totally unexpected, and that line of dialogue weaves its way back into your consciousness in its original form. This happened to me a few months back watching The Thin Red Line. I think 90% of that movie has been sampled, mostly by UNKLE. (THX-1138 is another film where every 3rd line of dialog is familiar).
With that in mind, I wanted to create my own sample-laden mixset. The tone is darker and spacier, with less emphasis on the dancefloor and more attention paid to the headphones. There’s a bunch of futuristic dub, a bit of downtempo, and some killer progressive stuff in there. Enjoy.
- Serene – UNKLE
- Masato Eternity – System 7
- Bleed – Shiloh
- Obscure Hobbies – Pako & Fredrick
- Your Friends Are Scary – Younger Brother
- A Coffee Shop In Rotterdam – Alexander Robotnick
- Reckoner – Umut Gokcen vs Radiohead
- Indigo (Androcell Remix) – Tripswitch
- Fast Freeze – MyMy
- Itajai Vibes (Claes Rosen Remix) – Sultan, Ned Shepard & Maher Daniel
- 8000 – Extrawelt
- A Case In Point – Terry Lee Brown Jr.
- The Queen of All Everything – Ott
Everyone has their hangups and preferences when it comes to music. I’ve long accepted the fact that dance music is a fringe group, but one of the friendliest and internet savvy. And the flow and swings really make work, play, and driving much more interesting. So pretty much 90% of my waking day.
My hangup with dance music (or electronic music, whatever you want to call it) is Divas. I hate Divas. Really, I eschew lyrics in general, but a wailing house diva will really make my eardrums rebel. Yet every once in a while a soaring female vocal will catch me just the right way and I can’t stop listening.
This set features two of my absolute favourite female vocal performances from the past year. The first is Hybrid’s “I Know (Keenan & Anderson Remix)”, a truly breathtaking track. The second is Robyn’s “With Every Heartbeat”, a track which drifts tantalizingly close to diva cheese before punching through with an emotional chorus that is absolutely stunning. Unfortunately, it’s also a track that’s had a lot of airplay by DJs much more famous than I, so I mixed things up a bit by pulling the chunky minimalist Hugg & Pepp mix into the soaring (but mostly vocal free) Rory Phillips take.
The rest of the mix finds a solid progressive groove, with a bit more diversity and less driving dance tracks than my last few efforts. I hope you like it.
One of my all-time favourite mixsets is Sasha & Digweed’s first “Northern Exposure” double CD, an album that first truly introduced me to the art of the DJ set. Along with the brilliant track selection and song mixing, the duo included a graphic showing how each track overlapped. Maybe it was just showing off, but I was always impressed by how well they were able to layer diverse songs on top of each other, sometimes 3 at at time.
I thought it would be fun to do the same thing for this set, to illustrate graphically these sets are put together, showing loops and edits alongside mixed overlaps. I hope you like it as well.
Now, on with the tracklist:
- Magic Games Mastered – Jacuqes Renault
- Flicker (Cinematrik Remix) – Boom Jinx
- Leaving Planet Earth (Dousk Remix) – Talisman & Hudson
- I Know (Keenen & Anderson Remix) – Hybrid
- Hearts on Fire (Joakim Remix) – Cut Copy
- Bucovina feat. Shantel (Ian Oliver’s Clubovina Mix) – Ian Oliver
- Blew (Becker Remix) – Antix
- G Platz (Neil Quigley’s Pacemaker Dub) – Nick Muir
- A Field – Vector Lovers
- With Every Heartbeat (Hugg & Pepp Remix) – Robyn with Kleerup
- With Every Heartbeat (Rory Phillips Remix) – Robyn with Kleerup
- My Moon My Man (Boys Noize Classic) – Feist
- 2.20 Girl (Gutterstylz Dub Mix) – Suicide Sports Club
- Beautiful Life (Gui Boratto Remix) – Gui Boratto